English Poetry

Poetry needs to be read out loud to be fully appreciated. Poetry for those wanting to hear their voices reading out beautiful words..

Thursday, May 21, 2009

My Body May Die Again and Again
Sijo - Korean Style of Poetry


My Body May Die Again and Again



My body may die, again and again

One hundred times again, and

May turn into but a pile of bones and dust,

My soul may or may not live on, but

My loyalty to my country shall remain unchanged for ever.




Jung Mong Ju, 1337-1392, a Koryo scholar



The life of a man is like a candle, that shines but a moment brief
If I must die for my country to live
I shall depart joyous, with the morning dew silent
A Korean War ballad

In a flower garden of a castle, pines a millennium old filter in the moon light
I hear death cries, drum beats of a battle, fought here eons ago
Silence returns supreme, where are the heroes of the battle now?

Anonymous

http://www.kimsoft.com/kr-sijo.htm

Labels: